Although students are ultimately responsible for their academic journey at SPU, we want to provide you with support and guidance as you navigate academic life.
Your faculty advisor and academic counselor will provide important support to you along the way. Use the information provided below as a guide as you grow into your role as an SPU student.
- Use Degree Check in Banner to track your progress toward earning a degree and the requirements of your major/minor.
- Connect with your faculty advisor each quarter to:
- review class options for next quarter
- have him or her update your major section of Degree Check
- get the faculty advisor hold removed
- Visit our Academic Resources page for best practices of successful students.
Faculty advisor’s role
- Explain general requirements needed to complete an SPU degree.
- Outline the requirements of a major or minor.
- Assist your development of quarterly schedules and a long-term academic plan.
- Help assess your academic performance.
- Direct you to other campus resources that can enhance your educational experience.
- Provide insight into vocation and career paths.
- Visit Faculty Advisor Assignments for more information.
Academic counselor’s role
- Evaluate any transfer credits and answer questions about potential study away options.
- Consult with your faculty advisor on your academic records.
- Assist should you have academic difficulty.
- Provide a graduation check to make sure you’re on track when you apply to graduate.
- Review and officially post your degree.