Family and Consumer Sciences Education

Program offered
  • Family and Consumer Sciences Secondary Education (major)

Family and Consumer Sciences Secondary Education (BA)

The BA in Family and Consumer Sciences Secondary Education prepares you to teach individual and family life skills — including personal finance, health, human development, fashion, and nutrition. When you complete required courses in the major, you also meet endorsement standards in Secondary Certification, and Career and Technical Secondary Certification.

  • A minimum 70 credits are required for this major, including 25 upper-division credits.
  • Prior to applying for this major, you must complete at least three FCS courses.
  • When you complete the required courses in this major, you also meet state standards for certification in FCS Career and Technical Education.
  • If you are seeking Certification With Secondary Education Endorsement in Family and Consumer Education, you must meet the requirements of the teacher education program. Review the School of Education’s complete FCS Secondary Education Requirements.
  • This degree requires completion of the Family and Consumer Sciences Core, which includes:
    • FCS 1050 “Introduction to FCS,”completed in your freshman or sophomore year. (If you are a transfer student, you may complete this in your junior year.)
    • FCS 3240 “Individual and Family Development,” completed after FCS 1050.
    • FCS 4899 “Senior Capstone,” completed after FCS 3240, and during your senior year. 
  • You will have met endorsement standards in Secondary Certification, and Career and Technical Secondary Certification when you complete the required courses in the major.
  • You may combine this major with the Individual and Family Development major.

Apply to the major

  • You should apply for this major by your junior year.
  • Your application is due on or before the first Friday of Autumn, Winter, or Spring quarter.
  • Applications for this major is reviewed once per quarter.
  • FCS faculty must approve admission to the major.
  • Your overall GPA must be a minimum of 2.5 for admission to the major Family and Consumer Science Secondary Education.
  • Apply to this major through the Major or Minor application. You must complete the major requirements in effect when you are admitted to the major.

Certification for Elementary Education

If you plan to obtain Residency Teacher Certification (K–8) and are interested in teaching health and fitness, you must major in the Integrated Studies (BA) major with a concentration in Health and Fitness.

The concentration consists of courses in nutrition, health, and physical education, and the advisor for the Integrated Studies: Health and Fitness Concentration is Dr. JoAnn Atwell-Scrivner (

Further information about the Elementary Certification Program is available in the School of Education.

SPU students on campus

Family Consumer Sciences 

Visit Family and Consumer Sciences to see how an FSC degree can help you achieve your goals to make a difference in the world.

Time Schedule: Family Consumer Sciences

Course planning

Suggested course sequences help you complete your degree in a timely manner.