Good business dress and etiquette give you a competitive edge in job searches and on the job. “Social, presentation, and communication skills are the keys to personal and professional success,” says business etiquette guru Mary Mitchell, who frequently speaks at CCC events.
How can you develop good people skills and professional poise? How do you dress for success? How do you navigate the world of professional etiquette when what was good form 10 years ago might not be today, and what is expected in Seattle might not be acceptable in Tokyo — or even in Los Angeles? We can help.
Dressing for Success
Professional Dress for Men and Women
SPU Professor of Clothing and Textiles Dr. Raedene Copelend frequently presents at CCC events and workshops, and has prepared this handout (PDF) with clear guidelines on proper professional attire.
CCC on Pinterest
Follow us on Pinterest and explore our dress-for-success boards for both men and women.
Dressing for Interview Success
CollegeGrad.com has great information on dressing for interviews.
Interview Attire and Tips
- Dress conservatively, regardless of what might be acceptable once you’ve been hired.
- Your clothing should fit well, and be clean and pressed. Always err on the side of overdressed and conservative. If it’s too tight, too loose, too short, or at all revealing — don’t wear it! If in doubt, wear a suit.
- Go easy on jewelry, perfume/aftershave, and makeup.
- Cover up tattoos, and remove nose rings, lip rings, and more than one pair of earrings.
- Need a breath mint? Be sure to check before you arrive. (Don’t chew gum!)
- Bring a portfolio or briefcase, a pad, a pen, and extra copies of your résumé.
A gold mine of etiquette information, including business and international dining etiquette.
Culture and Manners Institute
The Culture and Manners Institute website sheds light on business etiquette, social etiquette, and cultural etiquette, and features an “Etiquette Tip of the Week.”
The Mitchell Organization
Mary Mitchell is a frequent professional etiquette speaker at CCC events.