The Center for Career and Calling, together with the SERVE Grant, funds service and nonprofit unpaid internships during Summer quarter. SERVE Internship Grant recipients receive an award of $1,500.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to gain relevant job experience and skills, explore career and vocational interests, and begin to develop a network within the nonprofit sector.
Giselle Gonzales ’14 received a $1,000 SERVE grant for her internship to Slovenia with Josiah Venture. Now she’s an adventure guide for Adventures by Disney. Read her story.
Eligibility for a SERVE Internship Grant
- You must be a junior or senior.
- You must be in good standing with the University.
- Your proposed internship should be relevant to your educational goals or stated vocational interests.
- The internship must be unpaid with a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization or a government agency.
- The internship must be off campus and cannot be student teaching or a practicum for professional licensure.
- You must work at least 10 hours per week for a minimum of 10 weeks.
You are eligible to apply for the scholarship without regard to financial need. Grant recipients are responsible for any applicable federal income tax.
- Talk with your potential internship employer to be sure this is an unpaid internship with a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and that it qualifies as an approved internship according to SPU’s Recruiting Policy. Review the SERVE Internship Grant Application (PDF) with your internship site supervisor and obtain his or her signature.
- If you are seeking academic credit for the internship, register for the internship by completing the Internship Learning Form. You can gather your information in the Internship Learning Form Worksheet until you’re ready to complete the Internship Learning Form itself. Be sure you have all the information ready before you begin filling out the Internship Learning Form, because the form does not have a save feature and allows only a limited amount of time for completion.To access the Internship Learning Form, log in to Handshake and click "Report an Internship for Credit" in the left bar. NOTE: If you are registering for a psychology or engineering internship or the BUS4942 Internship Reflection class, be sure to select the correct template in the drop down menu.
- Complete all sections of the SERVE Internship Grant Application, taking note of the evaluation criteria. Be as specific as possible.
- Submit your application (signed by your internship site supervisor), along with your résumé and unofficial transcript, to the Center for Career and Calling; 2nd Floor SUB, by the deadline listed below.
SERVE Internship Grant Application (PDF)