How do I sign up for an audition? To audition for a Fine and Performing Arts scholarship, you must complete a registration form.
Will I get a response right away when I sign up? Yes, you will receive a confirmation email, sent to the email address you provided on your form. If you don’t see it, check your junk mail.
When will I know what date and time my audition is? You will select a date and time when you register for your audition.
I need to cancel or reschedule my audition. How do I do that? While we request that students do their best to keep their original audition time, we understand that sometimes conflicts may arise. If this is the case, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request as soon as possible. If you need to reschedule, please notify us at least five days in advance, and in your email note the dates and times when you are available. We'll do our best to accommodate your availability; if we cannot, you can also audition electronically.
Can I audition if I haven't applied to SPU? Yes, all prospective students may audition. However, a Fine and Performing Arts scholarship can only be awarded to students who have been admitted to Seattle Pacific University, so you will need to apply and be admitted prior to receiving a scholarship.
May I audition in more than one field? Yes! Many of our students do so. If you'd like to register for multiple auditions, you'll need to fill out separate registration forms for each audition unless you are auditioning for two different instruments (except for piano). Please allow 20 minutes between audition times to allow for travel between audition locations.
What information do I need to provide when registering? You'll be asked to provide information on your previous experience in your field as well as any private instruction you have received. If you are auditioning for Visual Arts, you will need to provide a link to a file-sharing service, such as Dropbox or Google Drive, with 8 - 10 PDF or JPEG files of artwork done within the last two years.
I'm already enrolled at SPU. Can I audition for a scholarship? Yes! Current students are also eligible for fine and performing arts scholarships, regardless of your major. Current student auditions are held by appointment. To request an audition, please complete our current student audition form.
Can I audition for dance? No, we do not offer scholarships for dance.
I’ve been using a school instrument. Do you have instruments to borrow? No, you will need to bring your own instrument.
Can I bring my own accompanist? Yes, you may. We will also have an accompanist available for vocalists who need one.
Can I bring guests? Yes. On your registration form, please indicate the number of guests who will join you.
When will I get information on where I should check in? You will receive a reminder email five days before your audition that includes your check-in location.
Are there practice rooms available? Yes, you will have access to a practice room beginning 30 minutes prior to your audition.
What will my audition be like? Audition format is specific to the medium in which you are auditioning, as follows:
- Vocal auditions: You will sing two works. At least one should be an aria or art song from the classical repitoire; the other may be a contrasting work or the same. Folksong arrangements, musical theatre, etc, are also acceptable. Please bring a printed music résumé to your audition.
- Piano and instrumental auditions: You will play two pieces from contrasting periods, not more than five minutes each. An excerpt or a movement from a longer composition is also acceptable. You may also be asked to do some sight reading. Please bring a printed music résumé to your audition.
- Theatre performance auditions: You will present two memorized and contrasting readings of your choice, totaling approximately five minutes. You will also be asked to present a one-minute pantomime. It should be complete in itself and tell a story. Please bring a printed theatre résumé and a photo, such as a senior picture or head shot, to your audition.
- Theatre production and design auditions: You will bring a portfolio of three to five pieces that best represent any design or technical work you have completed in scenery, costumes, lighting, sound, or props. When interviewed, be ready to support your portfolio.
- Visual Art auditions: Visual art portfolios are submitted online.
How long will my audition be? Auditions will be approximately 10 - 15 minutes.
Can I still audition if I cannot come to the SPU campus? Yes. You can submit your audition materials electronically using a file-sharing service such as Dropbox or Google Drive, or by submitting links to your performances on a video sharing service, such as YouTube. To audition electronically, you must complete an electronic audition form.
What formats will you accept for audition files? You can submit audio files as WAV or MP3. Images can be submitted as PDF or JPEG. Videos should be uploaded to a video sharing service such as YouTube or Vimeo.
Can I edit the files that I submit? No, please do not edit your recordings or include any effects, such as reverb. Edited recordings will not be considered.
When are electronic auditions due? Electronic audition forms and files must be submitted by midnight on Friday, March 1, 2019.
When will I know if I have received an award? After the final decisions have been made by faculty and you have been accepted to SPU, you will receive a decision letter in the mail. You will also see your scholarship in your financial aid package. Decisions are generally made by mid-March.
How much money can I be awarded? Scholarships range from $500 to $3,000.
How will my scholarship show up? FPA scholarships will be noted in your financial aid package. If your scholarship is not showing, contact your Student Financial Services counselor.